We're finally doing something we've been threatening to do for about eight years now, coming on nine: we're going through all our stuff, and sorting it into storage bins.
But we were picky about storage bins: They must be sealed - not completely airtight, but definitely damp-and-bug proof. So a simple clip-seal won't work, they need a seal, a gussett. That knocked us down to essentially four brands:
- Ziplock WeatherShield: nicest interlocking of different sizes. Comes in transparent or black.
- Iris WeatherTight: widest range of sizes.
- Sterilite Gasket Box: cheapest, most widely available so we could shop around.
- Remington Weathertight: expensive, and few sizes, in weird shapes.
- Container Store Weathertight: expensive, only available from Container store, probably just rebranded Iris?
The bins mostly needed to be transparent, so we could see what's in them. They had to stack. We had to be able to afford them.
We ended up settling with three different sizes of Sterilite bin, which do not interlink, which is a shame. But the vast majority, currently 36 and rising, are a single size, the 54 quart.( Read more...Collapse )